Curtains for quilting?

(click on photo for full blog post)
It hasn't been as the saying goes "curtains on quilting"...but literally curtains for (instead of) quilting of late....

My severed thumb pretty much looks like nothing ever happened with the nail regrown harder than anything I've ever had and the tissue has migrated upwards filling the length. Only when you compare thumbs do you see a skinny  misshapen thumb.

In some circumstances it can be very sensitive- a rubber bank flick, a pin prick in a certain area, but others times it's generally numb with no nerve sensation and no strength. Trying to remove pins or pull a needle with is very much like a baby picking up peas - some loss of fine motor skills.

However......I've been busy with sewing- not just quilting so great to regain strength and dexterity in these projects before recommencing in my work soon.

A kitchen renno meant new curtains were needed for the family room but with not a lot of cash left in budget I found some great graphic sun-out fabric at Spotlight. I did have visions of painting the odd roof or door until I was exhausted sewing the 10 metres of curtain width of 3 metre drops each I spent hours trying matching the pattern only to find it didn't really match...probably why it was $10 a metre! I also had visions of small children seeing mum colour parts and added their own contribution with crayon or felt pen while Mum was in the shower or hanging out the washing- so neutral it is staying!
 
With 13 children off to school  from our Playcentre this year I've been busy making binding and quilting most of their handprinted tops onto fleece.

Got to make a few large plus blocks using leftovers of the curtain fabric to make a noticeboard for a Mum leaving Playcentre too..All the Mums wrote messages onto cardboard pluses to add to the notice board. This mum had the knack of always seeing the positive side of things and is very creative and building g anew house so hope this is of use to her

This has rekindled by enthusiasm to get in an finish my  plus block and plus/cross quilts which are sitting as finished blocks somewhere in my sewing room these upcoming school holidays.

Another project for a mum departing saw me making up 30 or so little kits of wool felt circles of differing sizes and embroidery floss. Small little creative circles A.K.A Wendy Williams and Sue Spargo.




A great way that all the mums (some sewers, some totally alien to anything craft/sewing related) could contribute. I found a great offcut of charcoal grey wool merino felt and made piping using a multi coloured quilt block design fabric. The back was using recycled grey suiting (a nod to Mum's upcycling and pre children corporate career) and some fabric from my stash. The children print was cotton duck from Spotlight that I purchased years ago as I just loved it and thought it very reminiscent of all the children we care for, nurture and educate at Playcentre. the  symbolism of the circle being: about her circle of friends, everlasting circles, coming full circle etc.....





but I found this fabulous quote which summed up this mum and just added to our creative circle embellishments and was my inspiration as I was pulling together these large floor cushions.
 
 
"Consider a small child sitting on his mother's lap while she reads him a picture book. The picture opens to a width that effectively places the child at the centre of a closed CIRCLE - that of mother's body, arms, and the picture book. That CIRCLE, at private and intimate, is a place apart from the demands and stresses of daily life, a sanctuary in and from which the child can explore the many worlds offered in picture books. Despite all of our society's technological advances, it still takes one child, one book, and one reader, to create this unique space, to work this everyday magic" Martha V Parravano


 Some beautiful little things......not mine but from some very talented friends and mums